Friday, July 30, 2010

July 26-30 ha Babatngon, Leyte

























This week started with my arrival to work on Monday, where I met officer Ventura carrying this chicken. The chicken was then tied to a post beside the jail, to be butchered and served as the entree for lunch in the afternoon. I wanted to include this picture because officer Ventura seemed so proud of his handsome chicken as he carried it around monday morning.

I have been working with the local Catholic High School to create a sustainability and 'care for creation' lecture series that will be piloted here, and then shared with other catholic schools in the future. Now Grace, my counterpart, and I are planning lessons and topics to be discussed in our 18 weeks of 4-hour lectures. Usually, it is hard to convince my coworkers here to plan for projects like this one, but with the support of the priest, who is very infuential in a 99%-catholic area, convincing others of the need to plan and continue building the project has been easier..so far. We're currently meeting with 70-3rd year high schoolers to lecture on Coastal Resource Management, Solid Waste Management, Global Warming, The Food Chain, etc. I hope the program is a success, but for now, the jury's still out.




I also got invited to the Priest's house this week when some dignitaries were there. The vice governor, the lady in the middle of us in the first picture, was there. A very educated and friendly person, she explained to me some of the duties of a vice Governor in the Philippines which were interesting, such as making referendums to be voted upon by congress, and other regional duties as well.

I continue to work on other projects, such as reorganization of a local People's organization and project development, planning, implementation, and disseminating books to other local high schools. My science class of 57 1st year students at Selena's school continues to improve. Since they are bombarded with English from both of us every day, their comprehension is increasing markedly more than with students in some of the other classes. Since science is taught in English, it seems that much of the content is lost on students not because they don't want to learn, or don't understand the subject matter, but because they lack a fundamental english understanding.

No comments: