Saturday, February 1, 2014

Cross-Cultural Sharing on the Back of a Jeepney

Hello
“Maupay”
And who are you, edoi?”
“My name is Peter.  I like your place.  Babatngon is very beautiful.”
Ay, Salamat.  Are you German?”
“No, Americano ako.  I lived here for two years, and just came back.”
“You married Filipina? What is your work?”
No.  I was a Peace Corps volunteer.  I came back with the Church of the Brethren Disaster ministries.  A relief organization.”
“Oy, you’re military.”
“No, Peace Corps is not military.”
You carry gun?”
“Yes, big gun.”
Are you catholic?”
No, the Church of the Brethren is a protestant denomination.”
“Ay, you are Mormon.”
“No, iba (different) church.”
“Ay, many foreigners like you come to marry Filipinas.  They are very good caregivers, as you know.”
“No, I said I didn’t marry a Filipina and I’m here for a different reason.”
“Ha, ha, oy!”
Okay.”
“Did your church build the simbahan there across the road?”

“Yes, my Filipina wife and I built the Catholic Church there across the road.  We put many guns there.”

“Ay, Salamat.”
“You’re welcome.”



No comments: