Monday, November 25, 2013

3 Pet Peeves

1.

Fantasy Football

While working last week, music in my ears, coffee on my breath, and endless words on my screen, a couple of coworkers were walking by and stopped in the hall just short of my office, lost in a passionate conversation.  Their hands flailed in passionate expression and eyes bulged with inflection.  People don’t usually get worked up at our office, especially over work, so I thought that eavesdropping might be in order to get the scoop on something that’s going on in the world of wildlife conservation. 

“Drew Brees did great! He’s making for an incredible season!”

“The league is really dynamic this year, week 12 should be even better than this week.”

So, much to my chagrin, this passionate discussion, heated exchange of wits was just about football.  I’m not really into sports, I have to say, but I really don’t keep up with professional football.  However, I thought that it might be a good idea to listen in and brush up on the current season, leapfrog over hours of Sunday boredom and cut to the chase so that I could act somewhat educated if football were to come up in conversation.  So I listened…

“Manning went for 280 yesterday; that makes for some great points on my overall.”

“Yeah, and my runningback, whatshisname, ran for over 100 again.  Who knew, but hey, I’m not complaining.”

“Whatev, my points status is amazballs over last year this time”…..

And so on and so on and so on.

What I’m sure you’ve gathered, and which I eventually did, was that these two friends were not really talking about football, but about fantasy football, like, not life, not vicarious life, but a game marketed so that we follow or care about professional football more.  It’s like sports squared or something, or, no, that would make it better than sports, maybe, let’s say, the square root of sports divided by some big number like 100.  Basically, a giant, imbecilic activity. I’m don’t want to sound too judgemental, but what a monumental waste of time.  It’s a great marketing tool and method for retaining a fan base, but geez, really?

2. 
Flu Shots
Today, everybody seemed to be talking flu shots.  At work, they were offering up free shots for whomever desired one, and I, being the opinionated person I am, conversed with several people, feverishly waiting by the elevators to get theirs.  When it comes to flu shots, I’m not a big fan.  I figure they're for infants or the infirmed, but not helpful for the general population.  My limited knowledge of flu shots is that they’re meant to inoculate recipients from the most common, i.e.  most probable viral strains going around in a particular season, but serve as a shot in the dark for prevention of what will probably end up getting you.  However, I may very well not know what I’m talking about, and often wonder if there’s something to the whole flu shot debate that I’m not getting.  Well, in this age of endless, ubiquitous information at our fingertips, I thought I’d do some research to see just what seems to be the consensus on flu shots and if there is any point to them after all.  I’m biased, you understand, but I tried my best to be as objective as possible.  Here’s what I found:
Pro-Vaccine - Here's a site that sums it up pretty well.   
Anti-Vaccine - Here's a couple that refute it.
After looking at some background information, it's apparent that everyone who thinks that you should get a flu shot is operating on the assumption that they actually work.  "Get a flu shot, because you're putting others to risk if you don't." "Get a flu shot because it will save sick days and help efficiency."  However, when you look for corollaries between purchases of vaccines and flu rates throughout the population, there isn't any discernible relationship.  In 2009, flu rates were the lowest in years, but purchases of the flu vaccine were as well.  Finally, populations that get treated very rarely have a significantly different occurrence of the flu than populations who don't get treated.  But, if it makes people feel better, I guess that makes it worth it.  Just quit talking about it, either get one or don't. 
3.
The Spin
In this world of constant, 24-hour news, politicians and pundits are forced, or ‘motivated’ more than ever to wrap increasingly complex ideas up into nice little bundles so that the fleeting constituent can get a grasp of the issues as quickly as possible.  Ideas like a tax on inherited real property are termed the ‘death tax’ by those who are opposed to it, or, throwing a bone to the ‘other side,’ when voters are asked to show identification in order to prove citizenship and that they have the constitutional right to vote, to decrease fraud in the electoral process, those opposed to the process call it voter intimidation. 
So now I segue into the third of my showcased pet peeves that reared its head in the news just last week.  Spin.  Most would agree that republicans, for noble reasons or not, have overplayed their hand in the past couple years when it comes to brinksmanship in subverting the political process with gimmicks and political strategies that were meant to protect our political process, not manipulate it.  In addition to partisan votes and dangerously strategizing to limit the reach of government or regulations, many of our esteemed congressmen have contributed to an unprecedented use of the filibuster to prevent political appointments of qualified individual to seats that need to be, and always have been, filled.  In the past, we’ve required a supermajority, or 60 votes to bring cloture to a filibuster, basically allowing congress to vote on a bill.  Last week, however, Harry Reid decided to change this longstanding rule and make cloture possible with 51 votes, a simple majority of senators. 
Now, while republicans and democrats in the nation’s capital argued over the technicalities of this move, things got heated up.  Brows were moistened with perspiration while leather soles clacked on marble hallways on capital hill.  Red velvety rooms were filled with passionate politicians politely professing their proclivities.  Press bulbs flashed in furies as lions of both houses roared about tradition and civilized discourse.  Meanwhile, though, the whole country, the real people doing honest work and counting on their government to do the same, didn’t really give a shit. 
Some of you may feel differently, that somehow a simple majority shouldn’t be enough to kill the free speech of a filibuster, but I respectfully disagree and don’t care…at all.  Grow up, politicians, we’ve got bigger fish to fry.  Calling the allowance of a simple majority to rule in a democratic government a ‘nuclear option’ is a bit absurd, you have to admit.  Heck, it doesn’t even have the impact of a fart, it’s the way things should be and this is a good change that was a long time coming.  Did democrats use it to their advantage?  You bet your ass they did, but that’s how everything gets done.  Nothing's accomplished if it doesn't help somebody.  Stop alarming everybody with this crap.  It’s just a bunch of spin. 

Okay, I'm done.


No comments: