Saturday, October 29, 2011

Getting back into the rhythm

View to the North from our house
I’ve been home for a little over a week now, and am using a snowy Saturday afternoon to catch up on my blog and tell about how it has been for me to transition back to the way of life here in Western Virginia from the way of life on the Island of Leyte, Philippines. It has been odd, because, as with Peace Corps Service and the unexpected changes that life in the Philippines entailed, the things I expected to shock me haven’t been that earth-shattering, but I am caught off-guard at times by small things that I wouldn’t expect to hit me.




Me, incredulous at the unexpected weather




As I was taking a run around my community here in Dayton, Virginia yesterday, I cut across a corn field and stooped down to pick up an edible mushroom when the black spores on its underside stained my hands like the ink of squid I was eating just two weeks ago in the middle of the ocean with the fisherfolks. I didn’t break down or anything, but it caught me off-guard, the divide between my home in Virginia and that in the Philippines.



Friend from the Philippines,
RPCV, Leah Ettema



My Cousin Clair
As the snow fell today covering the eastern and western mountainous horizons with a sheet of shiny white, I was taken aback at this beauty that many of my friends at site would never see except in pictures. Don Don and Ben Ben and Jimmy will never know the sting of winter cool on their fingers, or the smells of crunching red and yellow oak leaves underfoot as they walk through millions of acres of shared public lands.

I miss the fresh tropical breeze that is felt from the top of a jeep hurtling through an expanse of rice fields, and I miss the togetherness of those awfully huddled vehicles as we would ride to town. The constant sunshine and the lazy way of life as a volunteer already feels like some sort of dream, because things feel so much different here now. As is our human nature, the hard parts of life, the constant barrage of mosquitos and sweat, fear of bad water and lack of entertainment fade to the back of my mind as I’m reminded of all the good parts of being in the Philippines. My failed projects and frustrating conversations take a backseat to successes and friends I made.
Sunrise over the Massanutten Peak

Since I’ve been home, I’m had a lot of fun catching up with family. We’ve gone out to catch concerts and sit by rivers and picnic and walk. Everyone seems really busy, distracted from the fun of life by a sense of responsibility to keep going, working, striving for stuff.




The ‘reverse culture shock’ that Peace Corps often alludes to in literature about reentry to the country is real. Returning from the independent way of life that has become the norm abroad back to the politically correct, regimented, often stymied way of life in the states is hard, and should not be underestimated by returning volunteers. I’m afraid I did to some extent.

I look forward to all of the new things that are going to be happening as I (hopefully :) ) get a new job, and move to a new place. However, I will try to take with me the lessons learned and the new perspectives from service abroad, as they are priceless and were hard-earned.


Mom and Dad on a Picnicing Trip










View from Shenandoah River State Park





No comments: