Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Week in Photos

I caught these fellas washing up in the street at 7 a.m. when I was walking to the shoreline to go out working with the fishermen. Their crate reminds me of a bushel barrel that sat under my grandmom's downspout on the shed out back that I would splash around in on hot summer days.Don Don, the association president, as he disembarks from his boat after washing seaweed for the day.


We put up raintarps that we will roll down when guarding the fish cages and seaweed during rainy times. it makes for a nice place to come in and hide from the weather.





Romeo De Jesus, our association secretary, who is always working hard. I don't know what keeps him going..literally..I see what he eats. I don't know what, metabolically, keeps him going. He's an enigma.




One of the thousands of little fish that love living in and on the seaweeds. Providing great habitat and cover against predators, the fish seem to like the taste of seaweed, much to the chagrin of some of the fisherfolks.



Mano Robin, seaweed cleaner extraordinaire, he has a talent for long hours in the sun cleaning the rubbery stuff. He is very excited for harvest, and the two of us will be bringing the crop to town to sell in 3 weeks, he has reminded me several times.





As the bamboo has continued drying out, our guardhouse, once frigteningly close to being submerged, is about a foot out of the water, on top of what seems to be a sufficient number of drums at this point. We will be making permanent moorings next week when the huge bamboo poles for the fish cage construction come.




























No comments: