Friday, April 8, 2011

Commencement 2011

**The other day, I was asked by a friend who teaches at a local high school to give the commencement address there. I've helped out at the school on various projects, and gotten to know some of the kids, so decided that I would be honored to try and give a respectable address. Knowing that most of the students have only a rudimentary understanding of English, I know that it didn't get through to some of those in attendance, but given my small vocabulary in the local dialect, any speech attempted in pure Waray Waray would have been less than an inspiration. I inserted some Waray explanation where I could, but below is the speech I delivered. This post is at the bequest of family who wanted to read what I said, so if you're not into reading this, you can move on, guilt free, to the next blog post. If, infact, you decide to read this, keep in mind the fact that this speech was given in a very rural village community, only accessible by motorcycle. In the free world of the United States, parts of the message are rather benign, but in the Oligarchical society of the Philippines, some of the prose I'm sure is a bit provocative. **


 

Maupay Nga aga ha iyo nga tanan. Damo nga salamat para ha namon nga invitatione dinhi. Ako hi Peter H. Barlow, taga ha Virginia, United States. Pasentia, pero dire ako maaram damo damo nga Waray Waray, so I will be speaking mostly in English this morning. So, again, good morning Dr. Kalingag, my good friend Kuya Nic, esteemed teachers, politicians, good friends, and most importantly, our graduates.

First of all, let me say how honored I am to speak with all of you, to be able to greet you all, the graduates of San Augustin's national high school with some final words of advice before you all move into the next phase of your journey.

As many of you already know, I was born in Western Virginia, and grew up in a small, rural town called Montezuma, a place with lots of hills, lots of farms, and lots of wonderful, nice people.

After serving in the military, my father worked for 35 years for the government finding jobs for disadvantaged people, people who were poor, or people who were disabled. My mom counseled married couples and troubled people, and tried to help them to have better lives.

From my parents, I learned the importance of honesty and loyalty, and of serving other people.

My brother Ben lives in Maryland and is an attorney. His wife, Monica is a great writer and editor for the Baltimore Orioles Baseball Team. Both of them are very smart, warm people.

My wife, Selena, whom I met in college is my best friend. We do everything together and are lucky to have found each other. She is the wisest person I have ever met. Her parents, my mother and father in law are extremely supportive, kind people as well. Now you all know about me. (Pause)

When I looked at the program for today's event, I was impressed by the theme. The graduates: Partners toward a transformational society, an answer to social change.

So, what is social change? Why is it important enough that it would be the theme of this commencement celebration? Social Change is progress of entire communities towards a better future. It is the change that takes place when a person makes a decision to keep going, remaining honest, remaining loyal to what they know is right, in the face of hardship and adversity, in order for the whole community to benefit. Social change is difficult, but it is crucial to the welfare of everyone, and integral to a transformational society. Social change is honesty, transparency, hard work, and ingenuity. Without these four things, Social change will not happen. Look around. We have signs that say 'Honesty is the best policy' and to be honest even if others are not, to drive with caution, to stop, slow down, be respectful, pay the fee, be transparent with funds, report all earnings, pay the taxes. Are these signs just suggestions? Are they meant to be read, but not taken to heart? Are they just here to nag us into being nice people?

No! We have signs saying to be honest and laws to be transparent because that is how a functioning society works. If we do not abide by certain principals as a whole, if we do not all work together with industry, and if we do not use God-given talents for ingenuity, we cannot achieve social change. You, the graduates of San Augustin high school of Babatngon, Leyte, Philippines, have completed your secondary education. You now have the knowledge to go to college, or become a business man, or business woman, or tradesman or tradeswoman, or whatever you desire. Along with that privilege, you also have the responsibility of being partners and leaders in your communities toward Social Change. As high-school educated young people, you are the economic and political leaders of tomorrow. The future is up to you. Now it is time to decide if you will lead towards social change, the honesty, transparency, hard work, and ingenuity that comes with it, or if you will not. The Babatngon of the future depends on your leadership.

Finally, I would like to say that I have gotten to know many of you. Through teaching a few classes here, and in Juan Tismo National High School, as well as at St. Vincent Ferrer, I have seen what students here are capable of. Before serving here in the Peace Corps, I taught at high schools and a University in the United States and got to know many of the students there. I am here to tell you that there is no difference between you and students in the United States, or Canada, or France, or Italy. You are just as smart, just as beautiful, and have just as much potential as any other students anywhere. I know that for a fact. There is no difference. The only difference is whether or not you are willing to keep pushing to get to the top. So that's it. No excuses. You can do whatever you want to do, if only you are willing to work for it. If you need money, apply for a scholarship, if you need food, grow it, if you need fare, earn it, but never ever give up. Corazon Aquino said, "I would rather die a meaningful death than to have lived a meaningless life." So think as you go and prepare for the next step of your life's journey, what will you do to make your life meaningful? With the tools that a high school education gives you, how will you now help to lead your community to social change?

Thank you all for your time, and I wish the graduates the best as they continue learning.

No comments: