Saturday, August 21, 2010

Week 52, Pete in the Philippines
















Yes, folks, that's right, week 52 come and gone, 1 year of this exciting, frustrating, educating, invigorating, excruciating, experience is over. The year has been tough, lots of ups and down, lots of new experiences, and like I have mentioned in previous posts, they have all been challenging in the most unexpected ways. What seemed like it would challenge me the most at first, like the new food and lack of variety that I have grown accustomed to, or the new transportation and lack of my car to take me wherever whenever, or the heat and humidity; these things have been a challenge, but they pale in comparison to the challenges faced by endless scenes of poverty, the tug that I get when I have to walk by street kid after street kid asking for change, the longing for family, familiar faces, and the sweet loam of the Shenandoah Valley, quiet walks on public land, Appalachian Mountains, traffic laws, and I'm sure they mirror the plethora of things missed by other volunteers and overseas relief workers in my situation.

There have been many highlights, one of which happened this week when we planted around 500 mangroves at a particularly typhoon and flood susceptible area in the town proper. We had 70 students come out from the local catholic school and dig with sticks in the muddy sand and place the propagules (mangrove seeds) in hopes that they will leaf out, grow, and provide fish and shrimp habitat as well as coastal protection for many years to come. This is hopefully the first of several plantings that we will do, trying to get mangroves reforested in many of the coastal areas that used to be full of them. I'll post a couple pictures of the planting event.

Also, we've met some great people, Our first host family, the Alicers from Cabuynan, come to mind right away when I think of friends we have made, as well as the family we live with now. Also coworkers, and most notably, the many fellow volunteers that we have grown to really appreciate, for their different points of view, and their mutual understandings of this experience. I think our periodic get-togethers and gripe sessions with other volunteers has helped sustain positive moods for us despite some big challenges.

One of the main lessons I have learned this year is that honesty is integral to a functioning society. I appreciate honesty and personal pride more now than I ever knew possible. A functioning workplace and community has to have a fundamental concept of honesty within its members. Without this seemingly basic polity of candor and trust, things fall apart. I've seen it throughout the politics here and the office where I've tried to help create positive change.

I hope that the coming year goes better, that I can form some more positive working relationships throughout the community here, but I understand that this goal might not be realized. However, I've learned a lot, and made good progress in strengthening those who are doing good work here. And with every passing day, I do my best, and realize that I'm that much closer to seeing family, friends, and the Shenandoah Valley once again.

No comments: