Friday, June 11, 2010

Biliran, Philippines






Last weekend, Selena away and me with nothing in particular to do, I called up my friend Lorenz, to see if he was free to take me in for a couple days. He was free, and I shot up to his house in Naval on saturday morning, hoping to spend the day getting to know Biliran, the little Rockingham County-sized island above Leyte, renowned for its rice terraces and 11 active volcano crammed together. Well, it was just as beautiful as I was told, with rolling rice terraces everywhere, tall abrupt mountains everywhere, with a lush green, a mixture of the light green fields of rice, ready for harvest, surrounded by coconuts with a sligthly darker green, banana trees, still a little bit darker, and the hardwoods, mahogany, jimalina, etc, and wild vines high up on the mountains, the darkest green of all. The jagged steep mountains lend themselves to impressive waterfalls, still too young to have mature, rolling falls, they have reckless, high drop offs and raging water, so much water stuffed into the streams draining the watersheds, so much that when they fall off a drop off, they explode with lots of energy. Here you see a few of my pictures, but I'll be going back, to get some more of them, and to see some more of the incredibly beautiful little Island.

No comments: